Dec 15, 2007

What Encourages Me...

You ever compare yourself to others?  I read somewhere that that isnt very wise, but I still find myself doing it.  


  • I'm not as smart as he.... 
  • I cant seem to get the discipline he has.... 
  • I'm not that witty......or funny....
  • Why cant I just have more money....

But, I have found one place where there is equal opportuity for everyone.  

  • I can listen to His voice.
  • I can get strength from His Word.
  • I can be obedient.  
  • I can be sensitive. 

And I find that when I concentrate on some of those basics, I stop looking around at others and feeling small, outdone, and useless, and start to take advantage of what He has given me.  And 2 things begin to happen:

  1. Obedience and Sensitivity to Him begin to influence my actions and attitude
  2. and He begins to carry me beyond all those circumstances that made me so discontent.

Maybe we should stop trying to figure out why He is doing things, and just submit to how He wants to guide our lives.  I usually find He is quite capable.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Good thoughts. It's probably equally as unwise to go to the other side and become too content and even complacent in thinking that I am better, more disciplined, smarter, etc. than those around me. I think you're right that His Word what we should go to and compare ourselves to. It breaks our prideful thoughts when we think we're better than everyone and it gets rid of the defeated thoughts when we feel not good enough. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Wow, good stuff. It is so easy to compare and miss out out on what He wants to do with us, and where He wants to take us.